Saturday, October 20, 2007

Mississippi or BUST!

The team has arrived!

Thank you for checking in on the Shepherds of Hope mission team. Today, we began our week long journey to be the hands and feet of Christ in Gulfport, Ms. We will spend our upcoming week on various projects to help local residents get out of their FEMA trailers and into their homes.

We hit the road at 8:00 a.m. and stopped along the way to pick up two of our missionaries, Ed & Cathy, in House Springs. Then the day got..... really exiting. TWELVE HOURS IN THE VANS! Thank you Chris Beppler for lifesaving, delicious chocolate chip cookies (see below).

The van ride was a great time of fellowship and we spent time getting to know each other a little bit better. These are the things I learned:

- Chris Beppler makes amazing cookies (did I mention that already?)
- Brandy Harris is slowly convincing me I need a real estate license
- Karl Griffith has mastered missing turns
- Exit 289 off of 55 south is VERY VERY busy
- Texas Roadhouse has the most delicious butter
- I'm privileged to be surrounded by such a fantastic group of people
- God is good, all the time....

Camp Hope is an extremely nice (and clean) facility. For this, I am very very thankful. Sam Campbell and his wife are our camp hosts. They are from Delaware, but spend their time living at Camp Hope for 2 month time periods throughout the year. What an honorable sacrifice! We ended our night with a devotion. I've included the verse and a quote below. Feel free to pray through this verse with us during the week as we try and bring good to Gulfport.

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.
Do not say to your neighbor, 'Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow'--- when you now have it with you" Proverbs 2:27-28

"If I try to imagine God's essence, and think, for example, of the infiiteness of time, I get lost in a mixture of dismay and excitement. I sense the order and harmony that suggest an intelligence, and I discover, with a slight shiver, that my own language become evangelical." -- Toni Morrison

Blogspot is having some technical difficulties so we will post some snapshots from our trip down south tomorrow. I'll also give you the low down on our "day off" and introduce you to each member of the team.

Thanks for taking time to peak into our mission. We're happy to have you, and your prayers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God bless your efforts to make a difference in the lives of the folksliving in FEMA trailors. May your labor be productive, your fellowship sweet and your time with the Lord glorious. You're in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

What can we do to help?

Anonymous said...

Great work.